19.10.10

My future home

We received our post assignments on Thursday! Right now everyone is together for training, but December 1st we will become volunteers and move to our posts alone to begin working. It seemed like we had to wait forever, but we were actually really lucky because most groups don’t find out until a few weeks later.
Our APCD, Sylvie, handed out post-its with the name of our city or village and what region of Cameroon it’s in. Then everyone ran over to the map to figure out where that was and who is going to be living nearby. I’m posted in Banyo, which is a decent sized city in the Adamawa region. It’s right on the border of Nigeria. I will have to travel 10 hours at least once a month to get to the West regional capital Baffousam, which is where I’ll do my banking. It seems like a long trip, but apparently travel takes forever in this country so I’ll be used to it. If you look at a map, it’ll take me about 16 hours (or more…) to get to Ngoundere. If you’re planning to visit, you might want to think about being here for about 2 weeks. I’ve also started learning Fulfulde 50% of the time we have language classes because that’s pretty much the language they speak in the northern regions. I got lucky, so I have a post mate (another volunteer in the same city) who is an education volunteer. She swore in around the time we got here, so she’s only been there a few weeks. Two of the other trainees are within 3-4 hours of me, which is also exciting. I don’t know a whole lot now about my post, but I’ll be visiting in about a week and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment