11.8.11

Fada versus The Butchers

For summer vacation Banyo is organizing all kinds of youth activities, one of which is a soccer tournament.  The teams include all the different neighborhoods, but also random groups like the bakers and the butchers which I think sounds really funny.  The other day was the final match between the neighborhood Fada (blue) and the Butchers (black).  This match took place during Ramadan, while everyone is fasting all day long (no water, no food from 5am to 6:30pm) so I don't know how they survived... the match took place at the end of the day too so they must have been feeling it.  There was a lot of speculation about which team would win.  Fada is the neighborhood where the lamido (traditional chief) lives and where the big mosque is, so a lot of important people live around there.  I think of it as a rich neighborhood because most of the people I know that live there are well off, but who knows if that is accurate or not.  A friend said he thinks the butchers would win because they work all day so they are strong.  Clearly, the butchers had the advantage because they ended up winning (I want to say the score was 1-0).  My postmate unexpectedly had to hand out a medal and certificate to a player at the final ceremony.  I think they wanted me to do it also, but I was not interested.  Can't wait to see who wins it all next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment