30.9.10

Week two of training

Last night my host mother made me eat two bananas. It doesn’t sound like a big deal, but it was for me. I never, ever eat bananas at home or really even touch them because I’ve always thought they were really, really gross. I literally have no memory of eating any bananas at home that weren’t in a smoothie or banana bread. So far I’ve been able to avoid them, but (1) there’s a bunch of foods here I really would rather avoid than bananas, (2) it was the second time she had tried to get me to eat them, and (3) I feel really guilty because I can definitely tell that they make an effort to offer me special foods. My host mother already thinks I don’t eat because I can’t down an entire quart of rice in one sitting, so I had to give in and eat the banana. To be honest, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The texture is different, but the taste isn’t (still gross). I could see why they’d be good frozen and covered with chocolate, but I’m not going to be running out to the nearest grocery store to pick some up (which I couldn’t do anyway because they don’t exist here).


It was also the first time the whole family had sat outside at night since I’ve moved in, so it was the first time I really got to see the stars and how awesome they look out here. The power was out, so literally the only light pollution we had was from our kerosene lamp. Wish I could have taken a picture, but you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment